Lobden Golf Club
Lobden Moor
Whitworth
OL12 8XJ
Tel: 01706 343228
Lobden Golf Club

 

  Founded 17th May 1888

Lobden Golf Club - Our History

The Clubhouse

The Clubhouse of today is vastly different from that which was in place at the beginning of the last century. Although we know that a new pavilion was erected in 1907, prior to that, specific details are unknown. When the 'links' opened for play in May 1890, the 'clubhouse' or 'pavilion' was no more than a 'little wooden clubhouse' with rudimentary accommodation for its members. Just how it stood up to the strong 'Lobden winds' was remarkable in itself.



The following extract is from an article written by Mr T T Heywood, a past member, contributed to the Rochdale Observer of 21st May 1938 to celebrate the clubs Jubilee Year in 1938 and clearly describes a day at Lobden in the early days.


'It lies in one of the pleasantest places in the district, and humble though the course may be, its site is ideal. Lobden always gives those who trouble to climb the hill to the little wooden clubhouse a feeling of exhilaration. In the days before the motor car was available even to the wealthy, a Saturday afternoon's golf at Lobden was in the nature of a picnic. Golfers travelled by train or tram and even by the Whitworth horse bus to Whitworth, thence by landau or cab to the clubhouse'.


As the popularity of the game increased so did the pressure for more lockers and accommodation. In 1911 the Secretary was instructed to ask a Whitworth Joiner - Mr J Fielding to submit a scheme for providing more accommodation by adding a suitable extension or wing, to the present clubhouse. The total cost not to exceed £30 inclusive of new lockers. This was later increased to £35 including 12 lockers and then £41. The final price was £41.10s.0d.


At this time the clubhouse was fronted by railings and posts as can be seen from the following Local Rule which was adopted in 1911: 'If the Golf House, or the railings and posts surrounding same, interfere in any way with the playing of an approach shot to no.9 green, a competitor may drop a ball clear of such obstruction, but not nearer the hole, with the loss of one stroke'.


In January 1917 a new pavilion was acquired for the ladies section from Rochdale Gun Club at a cost of £20, and in the same month Mr F Lye donated furniture to the club.


At a meeting in February 1924 reference was made to the repair of the heating stove in the professionals cabin! In the same year discussions took place about further extensions to the clubhouse, membership at this time stood at 87 Gents & 48 Ladies.


In February 1926 an annex to the Ladies pavilion and extension to the tool shed was ordered with Mr J R Jackson at a cost of £22.10s.


The Official Opening of the Bar took place on the 12th May 1928. The opening hours were as follows:

Weekdays & Saturday

Open 12 to 12.30 pm.

Closed 12.30 to 3.00 pm.

Open 3.00 pm to 10.30 pm.

Sundays (from 1930 when a 7 day licence was obtained)

Open 12 to 2.00 pm.

Closed 2.00 to 7.00 pm.

Open 7.00 pm to 10.00 pm.


In 1934 electricity was laid on to the clubhouse and in the following year the lady subscribers provided a cooker.


A special meeting was called on May 27th 1941 in response to the urgent request from the Home Guard (who later became known as 'Dad's Army' - the citizen armed force organised in 1940 for the defence of Great Britain and Northern Ireland against possible invasion - originally called the Local Defence Volunteers) for the use of the clubhouse. After lengthy discussions it was agreed to allow the them use of the clubhouse for the nominal some of 7/6d per week - telephone calls extra. The 7/6d to include light, power and heating with conditions to be observed. Amongst the conditions: 'That they would not go in the Ladies Clubhouse'. Following damage, to a Chesterfield couch, the Home Guard was given a fortnights notice to vacate the clubhouse. This was later rescinded and they were given use of the clubhouse until the end of September. The cost of repairs of £1.17s.6d was paid by the Home Guard.

 

The Beginning

The Early Years

1910 to 1919

The 1920's

The 1930's

Jubilee Year - 1938

The 1940's

The 1950's

Roy's Poem

 

 

 

The old Lobden Club house

 

The clubhouse was extended in 1970 on land donated by the Lord of The Manor