Lobden Golf Club
Lobden Moor
Whitworth
OL12 8XJ
Tel: 01706 343228
Lobden Golf Club

 

  Founded 17th May 1888

Lobden Golf Club - Our History

The Early Years - 1940's


At the committee meeting held at the Fullers Arms, Healey, it was agreed that the maximum cost for each of the 12 prizes for the Fourball Competition's be 8/6d and 5s for mementos, and that £1 each be the maximum for the 4 prizes for the Mixed Foursomes.
 
The April meeting was held at The Albion, Whitworth Road and Mr Walter Milne of the Albion was accepted as a new member.
 
The following meeting in May took place at The Woolpack, Whitworth Road, and it was agreed that the appeals from the English Golf Union (EGU) and St Dunstans for competitions to be played in aid of their War Charities, and from The Royal Air Force Comforts Committee for a raffle, should be turned down for the time being, but that a letter from the EGU appealing for discarded clothing should be put on the notice board. It was also agreed that a letter, expressing the clubs sincere thanks and appreciation be sent to a local man with respect to the loan of one of his horses to the club for the present season.
 
At a later meeting the committee agreed to a poster, advertising a match in aid of the Red Cross, from Werneth Golf Club, being posted on the notice board.
Later this year 10 tons of sand was purchased from Tatham's and sufficient roofing felt for the caddies shelter and the shelter on the course.
  
The December meeting took place at the Gale Inn. The Handicap Committee suggested, via the Hand. Sec. that the handicap limit for all Fourball competitions be limited to 18 strokes. This suggestion was cordially received but a decision was deferred until the next meeting. This was later agreed at the AGM the following year.
  
The Ground Sec. reported that the No.4 shelter had been destroyed in the recent gales.
  
Cowling and Bentley were the groundsman and professional.
1941
Following meetings were held at the Whitworth Reform Club, the Dog & Partridge and The Birches Hotel. (The committee obviously liked a slow pub crawl in those days).
  
The Hon. Sec. Mr Cropper resigned due to war commitments and records show that subscription refunds were made to members who had joined HM Forces.
 
The clubhouse was insured for £1,000 at 2/- per % and the furniture, fixtures and utensils etc. for £670 under the War Damage Act 1941.
 
A special meeting was called on May 27th 1941 in response to the urgent request from the Home Guard (who later became known as 'Dad's Army' - the citizen armed force organised in 1940 for the defence of Great Britain and Northern Ireland against possible invasion - originally called the Local Defence Volunteers) for the use of the clubhouse. After lengthy discussions it was agreed to allow the them use of the clubhouse for the nominal some of 7/6d per week - telephone calls extra. The 7/6d to include light, power and heating with conditions to be observed. Amongst the conditions: 'That they would not go in the Ladies Clubhouse'. Following damage, to a Chesterfield couch, the Home Guard was given a fortnights notice to vacate the clubhouse. This was later rescinded and they were given use of the clubhouse until the end of September. The cost of repairs of £1.17s.6d was paid by the Home Guard.
 
An informal meeting was held on Saturday June 3rd to consider, and if thought necessary, to purchase some of the effects of the Hebden Bridge Golf Club. Messrs Clayton, Hudson and the Hon. Sec formed a sub-committee to go and view the effects and to purchase if possible any that may be of use to the club. It was agreed that a Lanii (Landau) be engaged to take them and that a sum of £50 be allocated for this purpose.
A half-yearly rent of £1.6s.3d was paid to The Lord of the Manor at this time.
 
1942
The 53rd AGM was held at the Reform Club, Whitworth on Saturday 31st January.
The outgoing Captain apologised for not posting the statement of accounts to each member, he explained that this course of action was to save paper. It was agreed that a Fourball Competition would take place each month and on Tuesday evenings.
 
At a meeting in February it was decided that the Frank Taylor Cup be competed for over 18 holes. (Prior to this we can only assume that it was previously played over 36 holes). Cowling was granted a 'war bonus' of 7/6d per week in response to his request for an increase in wages.
 
1946
Clifford Ellison created a club record by winning the Captain's Final in two successive years.
 Captains Final results 1946
1948
Qualification for the Captain's Prize was the best two net scores in each division (Handicap 12 & under & Handicap 13 & over) from four qualifying competitions with an handicap limit of 20 for the qualifying rounds.